1. Commitment to achieving Net Zero
GBM Group, incorporating Sync (a trading name of GBM Digital Technologies Limited) and Kingsfield Computer Products Limited (trading as Kingsfield), is committed to achieving Net Zero emissions by 2050. This plan covers both Sync and Kingsfield.
2. Baseline Emissions Footprint
Baseline emissions are a record of the greenhouse gases that have been produced in the past and were produced prior to the introduction of any strategies to reduce emissions. Baseline emissions are the reference point against which emissions reduction can be measured.
Baseline Year: 2021
Additional Details relating to the Baseline Emissions calculations:
The baseline emissions calculations used are from GBM Digital Technologies Group’s data from 2021, focusing on Scope 1, Scope 2, and Scope 3 emissions (Cat 3 and Cat 6).
3. Current Emissions Reporting (for year: 2022)
4. Emissions reduction targets
In order to continue progressing toward Net Zero, we have adopted a carbon reduction plan with tangible targets and timelines. Due to the continued growth of the business and the diversification of its activities, we believe that the best way to represent emissions data is through the use of an intensity ratio (tCO2e by turnover in million pounds).
Based on this intensity ratio, and in relation to scope 1 and 2 emissions, we project that GBM Group’s carbon emissions will decrease over the next two years from 0.403 tCO2e per million pounds turned over to 0.363 tCO2e per million pounds by 2025.
This is a reduction of 10%
5. Carbon Reduction Projects
5.1 Overview of commitments
GBM Group operate an environmental management system, certified to ISO 14001, through which we actively monitor, target, and aim to reduce our carbon footprint, use of scope 1 and 2 emissions, and waste.
We are also compliant with the Government’s Streamlined Energy and Carbon Reporting (SECR) scheme, through which we report our scope 1 and 2 emissions, outline energy efficiency measures, and state emissions with reference to an intensity metric (turnover).
5.2 Waste Management and Reduction
5.2.1 Operational and Office Waste
GBM Group have a comprehensive waste management strategy, which focuses on diverting waste from landfill. At last review (17.04.2023), our waste management providers reported that over 99.8% of our operational waste was diverted from landfill.
In order to continue to reducing waste sent to landfill, we are working to review our waste streams, how they are processed, and how we can minimise waste generated as part of our operational activities.
5.2.2 Packaging Waste
GBM has also signed up to a compliant packaging waste scheme through WastePack, to the ensure compliance with the packaging waste producer responsibilities. This has been done at Group level to include reporting for both Sync and Kingsfield.
5.2.3 WEEE Waste
GBM Group also form part of the circular computing economy. Our vendor certified technicians work tirelessly to repair and upgrade devices to extend their life – this supports programmes (like ReSync) that provide a route for the supply of second-user devices to end users.
We also work closely with an ADISA and ISO 14001 certified IT asset disposal specialist in order to reuse, repurpose, or recycle aged devices, components, and devices that are beyond economical repair in compliance with WEEE regulations.
6. Sustainable Programmes and Initiatives
GBM Group operate a number of sustainable programmes and initiatives to help reduce and offset its impact on the environment.
- Powering 100% of company-owned premises with energy from renewable sources.
- Migrating company vehicles to hybrid and fully electric models, with 25% of GBM Group’s entire fleet now fully electric (and growing), and 16.7% now hybrid. Within this, 100% of Kingsfield’s fleet is electric vehicles. We also have multiple charging points installed at company-owned premises.
- We’ve teamed up with PrintReleaf to offset its paper usage, which is reported on a monthly basis.
- We work closely with Apple Financial Services (AFS) and other leading leasing providers to provide customers with effective lifecycle management tools, reducing the burden on customers of managing aged technology. Together with AFS, we help to manage and retire devices, providing a route for tech to become second-user devices, forming part of the circular computing economy.
7. Ongoing Reduction Plan
In order to continue working toward net zero, GBM Group plan to further review and reduce its emissions, introduce new measures to reduce emissions, and factor in more scope 3 emissions data – as outlined below:
- Achieved 31/12/2022 Setting a baseline for scope 3 emissions in 2022 based on business travel only.
- 31/12/2023 Move to new premises powered by green energy sources (such as installing solar panels / heat pumps / other environmentally friendly technologies). We will also start tracking scope 3 emissions against a baseline in 2023 for business travel.
- 31/12/2024 Start tracking scope 3 emissions in relation to home-working and employee commute.
- 01/04/2023 Registering Kingsfield on a compliant producer responsibility compliance scheme under for compliance with packaging waste regulations·
- 01/01/2024 Performing a formal review of our systems, and further reducing our scope 3 emissions.
- 01/01/2028 Making further reductions to our carbon footprint, and exploring options for offsetting any carbon generated that cannot be reduced.
- 01/01/2030 Migrating to an entirely electric company fleet.
- 31/12/2030 Start tracking and reducing scope 3 emissions relating to goods and services.
- 31/12/2031 Start tracking and reducing scope 3 emissions (Cat 1) relating to capital goods.
- 31/12/2032 Start tracking and reducing scope 3 emissions (Cat 2) relating to capital goods.
- 31/12/2033 Start tracking and reducing scope 3 emissions for fuel and energy related activities, not included in scope 1 or 2.
- 31/12/2034 Start tracking and reducing scope 3 emissions relating to upstream transportation and distribution.
- 31/12/2035 Start tracking and reducing scope 3 emissions (Cat 5) relating to waste generated in operations
- 31/12/2036 Start tracking and reducing scope 3 emissions (Cat 8) relating to upstream leased assets.
- 31/12/2037 Start tracking and reducing scope 3 emissions (Cat 9) relating to downstream distribution.
- 31/12/2038 Start tracking and reducing scope 3 emissions (Cat 10) relating to processing of sold products.
- 31/12/2039 Start tracking and reducing scope 3 emissions (Cat 11) relating to use of sold products.
- 31/12/2040 Start tracking and reducing scope 3 emissions (Cat 12) relating to end of life treatment of sold products.
- 01/01/2041 – 31/12/2049 Working to reduce greenhouse gases related to all business activity for scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions, with a further 10-year reduction plan create to detail this period of reduction.
- 01/01/2050 GBM Group becomes carbon neutral
Declaration and Sign Off
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been completed in accordance with PPN 06/21 and associated guidance and reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans.
Emissions have been reported and recorded in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the GHG Reporting Protocol corporate standard and uses the appropriate Government emission conversion factors for greenhouse gas company reporting.
Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions have been reported in accordance with SECR requirements, and the required subset of Scope 3 emissions have been reported in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the Corporate Value Chain (Scope 3) Standard.
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been reviewed and signed off by the board of directors.
Approved by Chris Costello, 24.08.2023.